Wednesday 18 September 2013

Sewing Machine

Today I'd like to show you my sewing my machine. This is the one I've grown up on, I've always used it and its what I learnt to sew on. Recently I wondered how old it was, so I went on a google.














 After a long look, I found a number of people talking about their "vintage" singer sewing machines, and I discovered that the 328P dates from somewhere between 1957 and 67,  and was made in the Penrith factory in New South Wales, Australia.

Its a lovely little thing, we've only had it serviced once in 20 years, and that was for the tension knob. Its pottered along like a lovely little solid dear, and has always been lovely to sew on.

I recently started playing with all of the cams that it came with, which were misplaced when we recently moved house. These are them, all 5 with a different stitch on them. I'm more of a knitter than a sewer, but I am getting into quilting of late. And cams made that very exciting!














So, all of my cams with various stitch lengths or widths, and it shows a lot more stitches than I knew existed! My favourite is possibly the straight st with occasional zig-zags, making sewing quilt bindings on much much easier! There are a lot of fun sts that I can use for things, especially some nice decorative patterns :)






All in all, I've had a lot of fun with my sewing machine over the years, and I intend to keep using it for a long time to come! However, it was very fun while house sitting to have a play with what I think of as a fancy and excitingly new sewing machine, the Pfaff tipmatic 1035, which we think is from about 1985 :)






In knitting news, I've put CBBK out to block, cast on a Trellis cardigan for Oscar, and started the second of my sister's leg warmers. So much christmas knitting to do! I still need to start a pair of socks and a pair of gloves that I'm not sure how to do yet... Possibly just embroidered is the way to go?

No comments:

Post a Comment